Candy canes are a cheerful representation of winter and the holidays. The classic flavors will remind everyone of their favorite holiday memories! There is peppermint extract in the cake itself which gives it a classic winter flavor, without ruining the texture as candy canes would. The oreo crust is super simple to prepare and still a tasty classic. There are even crushed candy canes in the crust that give color and flavor. You can also make this cake ahead of time and keep it in your fridge for a few days.
For the Crust:
- 2 cups of Oreos
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2-5 candy canes
For the Cake:
- 16 oz of cream cheese (2 packages)
- 8 oz of sour cream
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp. of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. of peppermint extract
To Decorate (optional):
- 2 crushed Oreos
- 2 candy canes
- 1 crushed candy cane
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Crush the Oreos and candy canes in the food processor until fine. Melt butter. Combine in a bowl until pieces are coated. Press mixture into a 9-inch springform pan
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream and cheese. Blend either in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, the vanilla, and the peppermint until fully combined. Pour the batter over top of the crust and spread it out so that it is smooth.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes. Here is how to tell if the cake is done: you can shake the pan and if the cake wiggles a lot it needs longer to bake. You can also stick a toothpick in near the center and if 2/3 of it or more comes out moist it needs longer to bake. If there is a crack in the middle of the cake it is slightly overbaked, but it will still taste good. If the sides of the cake have pulled away from the edge of the pan, the top is golden brown, a toothpick comes out mostly dry, and the cake is firm on top you can pull it out. Then let it cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes.
- While it is cooling you can prepare the decorations. Release the sides of the cake pan and decorate! You can pick and choose whichever toppings you want, I love using a mixture of crushed and whole candy canes with a little whipped cream on the side. Then serve and enjoy!
Yields 8-12 slices