This is an easy vegetarian meal that can be made in about 45 minutes for lunch or dinner. I came up with this recipe at a friend’s house after her mom made a basic rice and tofu dish. My friend and I raided the fridge and found different sauces and toppings to spice the dish up. Enjoy!
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 ¾ cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 7 oz firm tofu
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- ⅓ cup sliced pineapple
- ⅓ cup edamame
- 2 sheets of sliced nori
- A few pinches of sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat rice, water and salt in a pot over high heat until reaching a soft boil.
- Set stove to simmer, cover pot and leave for 20 minutes.
- Cut tofu into 1 inch squares, about ¼ inch thick.
- Sandwich tofu between two paper towels and set a heavy baking tray on top to squeeze out excess water.
- Oil a baking tray with 2 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Lay tofu out on baking tray and put it in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After cooking rice for 20 minutes, move the pot off the burner and leave it covered for 10 more minutes.
- Mix soy sauce, honey, hot sauce and rest of sesame oil in a bowl.
- After cooking the tofu for 15 minutes, flip every piece and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Put half the rice in a serving bowl and store the rest away for future use (there’s no good way to make less than 1 cup of rice).
- Take the tofu out of the oven and add to serving bowl.
- Drizzle sauce on top and add your choice of toppings.