One of my favorite meals to prepare is tacos. It is extremely simple to make all of the components—from the meat inside to the tortillas, salsa and guacamole—from scratch. I am often disappointed by store-bought guacamole. It’s not fresh, and lacks the depth of flavor you get from the many ingredients in this recipe. While many store-bought guacamoles do not include tomatoes or bell peppers, they really pull this recipe together. Freshly squeezed lime juice is essential for a fresh taste and to keep the avocados from browning.
- 4 avocados
- 1 cup tomatoes
- ½ cup bell pepper
- 1 tbps jalapeno
- ⅓ cup onion
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ⅓ tsp salt – add more to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Halve the avocados, removing the skin and pit. Put them into a large bowl.
- Lightly mash the avocados.
- Chop up the tomatoes and cilantro, and dice the bell pepper, jalapeno and onion.
- Mix the ingredients into the bowl, mashing the avocado as needed.
- Add in the salt and lime juice. Make sure to mix it in, not mash.
- Taste and add more salt or lime juice as necessary.
Yields 4-5 servings